Matt JansenMatt Jansen
Participant

Jan 3 – Shoulders

With some changes coming up this year and me seeing that I have more time than originally thought part of my goal in getting very strong is to pick the top 4-5 hardest movements within each day and just get as strong as I can at them which started today.

Seated Barbell Military Press – This is one of those movements that I want to get really strong in and beat my previous best. I will have to go back and look but I believe up to this point I have gotten 315 x 5-6, I want to be pressing that for 8-10 by the end of the year.

Today I got 305 x 6 and got the 6th rep about 3/4 of the way up and then fought as hard as I could but could not finish the rep.

Seated Hammer Press – this is one of the older models of the Hammer press and the sticker on this model actually says behind head press. Last week I got 4pps x 4.5 which was sub par for me, today as my second lift which it was second last week as well I got 6 full reps + 2 partial reps.

Seated Lateral Raise – On these I sit on a 90 degree seat so that I can lean back slightly which prevents any momentum as my back is fixed into the pad.

My top end set here was 45 x 8 +4 partial reps

Standing DB Upright Row
35 x 10
45 x 8
60 x 6 – reps 7 and 8 were not as high as I would have liked

Reverse Pec Deck – 5 second eccentrics pausing at full stretch and contraction
130 x 10
165 x 10
190 x 7 + 3 partial reps

Barbell Drag Shrug – This is a new movement for me that I saw yesterday and when I saw it demonstrated it made a lot of sense for me so I wanted to try it out and for me I felt it was a more effective way of contracting my upper back and shoulders. If you drag the barbell up your body it is only going to go so high, the place where it stops that is where the rep stops.
I worked up to two sets of 145 lbs x max reps where I got 9 and 7 reps